lost communication (face of shame)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Oct 22 16:55:53 UTC 2006

Trust me, Charlie. You're safe.

  Except for that one student....

  JL

Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Charles Doyle
Subject: Re: lost communication (face of shame)

Ron, I'm sorry I missed your joke; that's embarrassing. (But, hey, it WAS a really bad joke!)

Also embarrassing was my walking into my Shakespeare class last week, having just been reminded (by a posting on this list) of Dr. Bowdler and the notorious trumpet-playing in Othello's bed. I shared the information with the class, and the students were appropriately amused. Only later did it occur to me that the Bowdlerized line appears in _Cymbeline_, not _Othello_ (though I believe the misascription is fairly common in recountings of Bowdler-lore). Now: Do I confess the error to my class or keep quiet, secure in the knowledge that my students never remember anything I say anyhow?

--Charlie