Dawgs

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Wed Oct 25 20:36:31 UTC 2006

Actually, I'll modify my vowel a bit: In this area, at least, the core
vowel is midway between /a/ and /O/, the so-called "turned script a".  It's
in IPA, and Kurath & McDavid use it in their West PA/eastern OH/general
Appalachian transcriptions extensively.  The full open O doesn't glide into
/U/ easily, does it?  The "turned script a" is what Wells uses for British
English "pot" too.  I just elicited it today from an Ohio grad student who
has homophonous 'cot' and 'caught' but with this midway vowel, not either
/a/ or /O/.  It's also in Ontario, and it's the vowel in homophonous 'Don'
and 'dawn' in western PA.  Is this a bit closer to what you're hearing in
"dog"?