Joke on Liverpudlian speechways

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 25 20:53:08 UTC 2006

Yep, that's right. I caught it only because I've seen "r" and "rr"
used as makeshift symbols for a flap before, e.g. in Henry Roth's
"Call It Sleep," in which he writes "Shut up!" as "Sharrup!" IIRC. And
then there's the BE-speaking character, "Bunifa," on MadTV, who uses
an actual trill in her catchphrase, "Whurr I do?! Whurr I do?!" i.e.
"What did I do [wrong]?!"

-Wilson