"What part of 'No!' ...?"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Oct 26 00:21:51 UTC 2006

I believe the only form I've heard is "So, sue me !"

  JL

Fred Shapiro <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Fred Shapiro
Subject: Re: "What part of 'No!' ...?"

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006, Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:

> The earliest reference I can find is from the song 'Sue Me, Sue Me',
> in the musical 'Guys and Dolls'. This was a Broadway show in 1950 and
> released as a film in 1955. This was composed by Frank Loesser and
> sung in the film version by Frank Sinatra (as Nathan Detroit) and
> Vivian Blaine (as Miss Adelaide):

The Yale Book of Quotations, which probably got its info from
Barry Popik, has the following:

Well, sue me.
George Jessel, quoted in Boston Globe, 17 Feb. 1929

Fred Shapiro

Fred R. Shapiro Editor
Associate Librarian for Collections and YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS
Access and Lecturer in Legal Research Yale University Press
Yale Law School ISBN 0300107986
e-mail: fred.shapiro at yale.edu http://quotationdictionary.com