pizzafication

Thu Oct 26 14:14:15 UTC 2006

pizza as a metaphor...

it started with item 1, from a neighborhood e-bulletin here in Palo
Alto:

1.  Elaine Meyer, University South News, 10/25/06

Language Update
If you read online blogs and postings you see creative spelling and
language. In a discussion about the mangling of our language by high
officials, one poster referred to it as the pizzafication of the
language.
-----

a similar item (perhaps the one Elaine Meyer had in mind):

"efficacy":

Again, don't worry about it-- it's just part of the pizzafication of
American English!
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jamie-reidy/wordsmith_b_28328.html
-----

the sense seems to be something like 'cheapening'.  in a somewhat
different use, the reference seems to be to the uniformity of pizza
and its ubiquity as the food of the common people:

3.  With direct democracy we would get the pizzafication of the US .
We would have the political equivalent of eating pizza at every
meal , and everyone would ...
dev.kuro5hin.org/story/2001/9/7/7425/32851
-----

and perhaps also to the way in which its preparation has been
routinized:

4.  I call it the Pizzafication of Sushi. :biggrin: Not many sushi
guys out here now who apprenticed in Japan - with all that that
implies in terms of training ...
forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=34417
-----

and speeded up:

5.  I think it could contribute to the pizzafication of medicine.
Arthur L. Caplan, PhD, director of Penns Center for Bioethics
www.uphs.upenn.edu/news/media/MR-nov-98.html
[medical practice possibly becoming like fast-food service, with
rapid delivery]
-----

and offered at chains:

6. pizzafication of San Antonio
waywardstats.spaces.msn.com/blog/cns!D32696C64D65A6A5!385.entry
[invasion of chain restaurants and cafes]
-----

then there are more literal references to pizza:

7.  Zachary's Pizza on College Avenue, in the Rockridge area of
Oakland - a trademark of excellence in pizzafication!
www.baronchestney.com/realestate/alameda.html
[supplying pizza]

8.  Honourable mentions to Goats Cheese & spinach and to a delightful
pizzafication of Bruschetta: roasted garlic with fresh tomatoes,
anchovies, basil ...
www.p45rant.com/boards/showthread.php?t=11512

9.  Urban Dictionary
1. pizzafication

Slicing a non-pizza food item through the centre, in a similar
fashion to the way a pizza is sliced. To form smaller equal sized
portions for easier consumption.

This cosmos burger is far too big to eat, it requires pizzafication!

by BenDog Perth, Australia Aug 25, 2005
-----

10.  Pizzafication, 2004, paint software, 8 1/2" x 11".
www.richmonder.com/Jimmy/Art/gal55.htm
[painting depicting pizza]

11.  Susan Williams, $200.00 to fund an ongoing book project called
The Pizzafication of America. This book explores the cultural history
of Italian food in ...
www.fsc.edu/grantctr/documents/2003-2004awards.doc