Slang poster

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Thu Oct 26 16:33:47 UTC 2006

Where in Minnesota is your wife from?  My entire family lives in Minnesota
(as I did for 25 years), and I've never heard [e] for [ae] before a voiced
velar stop.

(Tom, we're using IPA here, not the m-w pron. key.  But I agree with
Michael that "slang" has [ei], not [ae], presumably an effect of the /ng/
(velar nasal) following.  But the Milroys long ago observed that the vowel
in Belfast English is [E], reflected in fact in the 19th century spelling
"sleng."  So variants abound, as usual, in spite of what m-w says!