So, about this message...

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Oct 26 18:01:58 UTC 2006

Absolutely.  The usage was perhaps introduced the "charming psychopath"  community.

  Their discoveries inevitably go nationwide.

  JL

GLL <guy1656 at OPUSNET.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: GLL
Subject: So, about this message...

This use of 'so' may both be as much a new use as it is a new application of
an existing tool. I've heard radio ads start with 'so' in the same manner.

The use of 'so' implies a continuation of a current conversation, indicating
an extension or a conclusion of a previously established line of reasoning.
If indicating a conclusion, 'so' may be used to indicate a shift in the
topic: now that [n] had been settled, we can move on to our next agendum.

In advertising, or in the case of someone initiating with 'so,' the speaker is
trying to establish more familiarity, and therefore a fuller, more complete,
or quicker response. Quickness is impled because the speaker is also implying
that the social protocols which establish familiarity and a willingness to
interact have already been satisfied.

"You have already authenticated me as a valid speaker and a valid topic - We
can now move on to a topic extension or change the subject while retaining
the 'OK to talk with' flag."

So, the 'so' ploy is an attempt to override our normal firewalls we employ
when a stranger approaches and starts talking. We first try to figure out WHY
we should respond: do I *know* this person, is this person a mental defect
talking to himself, or maybe he's got a Bluetooth phone in his opposite ear
and his words are part of a conversation to which I am not actually being
invited to respond, or perhaps this is a customer service situation and here
is my next customer with a question.

This use of 'so' is a bit aggressive, meaning 'I don't want you to waste any
of MY time authenticating me - just start listening to my next topic NOW.'

- G

http://mail.yahoo.com