Dawgs

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Thu Oct 26 21:18:31 UTC 2006

Labov has tested many of these "near mergers" and has found that outsiders
generally perceive them as full mergers (homophones) but that
insiders/users can usually detect the subtle differences--though even they
can get confused sometimes when they hear the words out of context.  See
his studies of Birmingham, Chicago, Philadelphia, and elsewhere.