the temporal subordinator "since"

Thu Oct 26 22:26:09 UTC 2006

On Oct 26, 2006, at 3:09 PM, i wrote:

> but now the admonition to use "because" rather than logical "since"
> is in the American Psychological Association style book, sigh...

geoff pullum reminds me that thanks to the APA style book, Lawrence
Erlbaum Associates insists on the substitution of "because" for
logical "since" in all of its books.  geoff notes that that alone
could be warping the occurrence of logical "since" downward in
academic prose.

geoff also reports that of the 20 occurrences of "since" in hume's
Essay Concerning Human Understanding, 19 are logical and only one
temporal.

arnold