Slang poster

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Fri Oct 27 00:27:43 UTC 2006

Interesting!  I'm from SW Minnesota, but I now have a niece in Alexandria;
I'll listen to her closely next summer (she also has a pronounced "Canadian
raised" 'aboot', more than anyone else in the family).  This may be new
since I left the state.  Your blog page is also interesting; some of the
changes sound like the Northern Cities Shift, but not only raised but also
tensed.  But are "baggel" and "vague" really lowered to /ae/ or laxed to
/E/?  I wonder what Matt thinks?

The IPA is difficult to reproduce in e-mail--unless someone has a good
suggestion?

Beverly