Joke on Liverpudlian speechways

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 27 03:04:29 UTC 2006

This prime minister who referred to one of his subordinates as a
"twat," was he, perhaps, an upper-class twit, to coin a phrase?

-Wilson

On 10/26/06, Chris F Waigl <chris at lascribe.net> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Chris F Waigl <chris at LASCRIBE.NET>
> Subject:      Re: Joke on Liverpudlian speechways
>
> Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>
> > Yeah, flapping !  And "Worral" is a surname in the Liverpool area !  I'm still laughing !
> >
> >   BTW, are the Brits more (or less) sexist than we are because they so often apply the word "c*** " to pests and fools of either sex ?
> >
> This is a discussion I've been having with a number of Brits lately.
>
> My own impression is that the sex-unspecific use of "cunt" is less
> sexist than applying it to women only. Which is of course a totally
> unsuitable measure of the respective sexism of Brits and Americans in
> general. Be that as it may, "cunt" is extremely common here in England,
> just a few degrees above the equally sex-unspecific "wanker".
>
> But then, I've also met a (sexist) Brit who was genuinely surprised that
> some might wish to apply "twat" to a woman. For him, this was for men
> only. (The prime minister is fabled to have called one of his male
> cabinet ministers a twat. I have it from a good source, but haven't been
> able to pin down the cite.)
>
> As for flapping, there's lots of it in Irish English, too.
>
> Chris

Everybody says, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange
complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
-----
Whoever has lived long enough to find out what life is knows how deep
a debt of gratitude we owe to Adam, the first great benefactor of our
race. He brought death into the world.

--Sam Clemens