Can some native USA English speakers say "awe" or not

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Oct 27 14:26:40 UTC 2006

If Shakespeare's body language was much like his literary language, he must really have stood out in a crowd.

  Same goes for his bawdy language.
  JL

Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at IX.NETCOM.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Benjamin Barrett
Subject: Re: Can some native USA English speakers say "awe" or not

Sometimes I have similar thoughts, though opposite.

One day I was in a room of sociolinguistics student and a SL professor
and made a reference to the "bawdy" language of Shakespeare. Every
single person thought I meant "body" despite the fact that "body
language" and 'bawdy language" have different stress patterns. And they
were in MY native dialect territory of Seattle; transplants, every one.

Another way I have similar thoughts is my amazement when TV newscasters
can't pronounce the "t" in tsunami. But then I realize that just like I
can't pronounce that "awe" sound, they can't say syllable initial "ts".
I imagine they would have similar trouble pronouncing the "tl" in Tlingit.

Benjamin Barrett
a cyberbreath for language life
livinglanguages.wordpress.com