slang/slant

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Fri Oct 27 16:27:25 UTC 2006

If you "find it very hard to say 'slang' with a short a" (IPA /ae/), why do
you insist that m-w's notation "should be short a"? Since dictionaries
purport to represent "real" pronunciation, isn't your argument quite illogical?

Beverly Flanigan--born and bred in the USA (why do you doubt this?)
MN-25 yrs; St. Louis, MO-10 yrs; Bloomington, IN-10 yrs; Athens, OH-20 yrs
and counting.