Dawgs and Mirrors

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 27 20:25:54 UTC 2006

I still much prefer the Southern / BE disyllabic pronunciation of
"mirror," however spelled, to the monosyllabic Northern "mere."

-Wilson

On 10/27/06, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Dawgs and Mirrors
>
> "Horrorscope" has been mentioned, though not, I think, in this connection.
>
>   JL
>
> RonButters at AOL.COM wrote:

Everybody says, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange
complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
-----
Whoever has lived long enough to find out what life is knows how deep
a debt of gratitude we owe to Adam, the first great benefactor of our
race. He brought death into the world.

--Sam Clemens