Dawgs and Mirrors

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Oct 28 02:40:43 UTC 2006

At 4:25 PM -0400 10/27/06, Wilson Gray wrote:
>I still much prefer the Southern / BE disyllabic pronunciation of
>"mirror," however spelled, to the monosyllabic Northern "mere."
>
>-Wilson

Hey, don't lump us all northern eggs in the same northern basket.
I'm as northern as anyone (well, maybe not as northern as a Mainer or
North Dakotan) and my "mirror" is definitely disyllabic.  Admittedly
the second syllable is a syllabic r, so the r basically goes on and
on, but it's definitely two syllables and the vowel is quite distinct
from that of "mere".

LH