Can some native USA English speakers say "awe" or not

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Sun Oct 29 01:47:24 UTC 2006

From:    Beverly Flanigan <flanigan at OHIO.EDU>

> Dave, are you speaking of the Utah/Missouri merger of /a/ and
> /O/?  Actually, it's a near-merger, if I recall David Bowie's research
> correctly, which is why native users can hear the subtle difference though
> outsiders can't.  But isn't this a merger toward /O/ = awe rather than
> toward /a/ = ah? (David?)  Once again, I suppose Tom would say these should
> be kept distinct with no problem. . . .

Not mine--the near-merger stuff i've done is all on pre-lateral /o/,
/U/, and /u/ among Marylanders.

You're possibly thinking of some of Marianna Di Paolo's work. The first
place to look, i think, would be: Di Paolo, Marianna. 1992.
Hypercorrection in response to the apparent merger of ({open-o}) and
({script-a}) in Utah English. Language and communication, 12.267-92.

> But to claim that "they just don't like the sound 'awe' nor forming it in
> their mouths when they talk" is just ridiculous.

Agreed completely, no matter what variable you're talking about.

--
David Bowie                               University of Central Florida