ADS at MMLA

Kathryn Remlinger remlingk at GVSU.EDU
Mon Oct 30 13:28:12 UTC 2006

Greetings,

You're invited to attend the Midwest ADS meeting on Saturday, November 11, at the Palmer House, Chicago. The meeting is in conjunction with the Midwest Modern Language Association. At the meeting we will welcome Susan Merideth Burt (llinois State University) as the new Midwest ADS secretary.

Session A
12:30-2pm (LaSalle 1)
"Local Variability in the Northern Cities Shift," by Kenneth Konopka, Northwestern Univ.
"Subjunctive in Spanish Concessive Clauses and Heritage Speakers: What Explains the Similarities/Differences Between Them and Other Groups of Spanish Speakers?" by María-Isabel Martínez-Mira, Univ. of Mary Washington
"Khatmu-Al-Khwajagan: A Sufi Speech Event," by Omaima Ayoub ,Northeastern Illinois Univ.

Session B
2:15-3:45 pm (LaSalle 1 )
"Increasing Gender Divergences in Two Chicagoland Elementary Schools," by Richard Cameron, Univ. of Illinois at Chicago
"'This may be a little naughty, but we are working our asses off': Talk among Contemporary Roller Derby Teammates," by Tina Newhouse, Grand Valley State Univ. and Tracy Stephens, Grand Valley State Univ.
"Gender and Generational Differences In Hmong-Americans' Responses to Kind Deeds," by Susan Meredith Burt, Illinois State Univ.

For details, including abstracts, visit www.uiowa.edu/~mmla/

Thanks,
Kate

Kathryn Remlinger, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of English: Linguistics
Grand Valley State University
Allendale, Michigan
tel: 616-331-3122
fax: 616-331-3430