New Joe's Special (1949)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Oct 31 04:01:22 UTC 2006

I was just revisiting A TASTE OF TEXAS (1949) when I noticed a recipe for
the San Francisco dish "New Joe's Special." It's worth recording, since I
haven't found any earlier.
<i>A Taste of Texas</i>
by Jane Trahey
New York: Random House
1949
Pg. 137:
_New Joe's Special_
YIELD: 2 servings
1 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoons cooking oil
1/2 cup chopped onions...Saute onions in fat until golden color but  crisp.
1/2 pound ground sirloin
1/4 pound spinach, cooked
2 eggs...Add sirloin; cook until done. Add spinach. Break eggs into mixture
one minute apart. Stir and mix well.
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper...Add seasonings last; serve at  once.
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon lemon juice
 Dash tabasco...May be added if more highly seasoned dish is  desired.
_Lynn Norby; Los Angeles, California_
;..
10 October 1952, Los Angeles Times, pg. A1(?):
And, say, did you ever eat New Joe's "Special" in San Francisco--chopped
steak, spinach and scrambled eggs all cooked together with a plate of spaghetti
on the side?