New meanings for pornography?

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Tue Oct 31 17:06:32 UTC 2006

From:    RonButters at AOL.COM
> In a message dated 10/30/06 11:31:59 AM, db.list at PMPKN.NET writes:

>> I am not an expert on this (and, in a perhaps regrettable TLA for this
>> context, IANAL), but i've read that the clear demarcation line between
>> hard-core and soft-core, at least in the context of broadcast media, is
>> the "three Es", where any of them makes it instantly hard-core:
>> Erection, Ejaculation, and Entrance (of the penis into any orifice).
>> Erection might be expected to trump the rest, since it would usually be
>> necessary for the others to happen, but that isn't strictly true.

> There are many pornographic films with none of these three features, e.g.,
> the lesbian fantasy films. Also, male masturbation films have no "entrance"
> (unless one counts LA MANO). Both of these genres can be pornographic by my
> standard, which is, to paraphrase a certain Supreme Court Justice concerning
> obscenity, not easy to define but I know it if I see it (the way that some people
> feel about "mistaken" pronunciations of HORSE and HOARSE, I guess).

Well, where i read it (and yes, this is one of those where i've
forgotten the specific citation, but to make it better than "I read it
in a magazine somewhere...") was a feminist critique of the US legal
system, and this pointed out the absurdity that, in the context of
broadcast media (maybe specifically cable broadcasts?), there was no
such thing as hard-core lesbian porn.

> What do TLA and (ahem) IANAL mean?

TLA=Three-Letter Acronym (though a TLA can contain more or less than
three letters)

IANAL=I Am Not A Lawyer

--
David Bowie                               University of Central Florida