[Fwd: ads visuals archive? (was: jesse in the news)]

Dennis Baron debaron at UIUC.EDU
Tue Oct 31 19:23:51 UTC 2006

Are there copyright problems when language log posts cartoons?  My
guess is that there would be if someone noticed, even though lang log
is not for profit (I assume).
But would there be fewer problems in a teaching materials archive,
which should be covered by fair use?  I have absolutely no idea.

When google wants to scan our books and put them online there are no
copyright issues, but when google buys youtube, suddenly they purge
the site of copyrighted videos.

I have no pictures on the web of language because the software can't
display them (yet), but it's not a republishing site, so i'd only put
up original material anyway.  On my class web sites I do post pdfs of
articles that we are reading, but our library offers that same
service.  And I do email students newspaper clippings from online
sites when they are relevant to what we're studying.  I have never
gotten an opinion from the university about whether this is legal, I
just operate on the assumption that it qualifies as fair use since I
could just as easily photocopy them and hand them out -- which is
what I used to do -- only this saves the university money and paper.

Is there anyone on the list who knows more about the issue? Because
if the law isn't an obstacle (even if it is an ass) then I'd
certainly like to pursue this.

Dennis

On Oct 31, 2006, at 1:03 PM, Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:

On Oct 31, 2006, at 8:16 AM, Terry Irons sent us a:

> Forward from Dennis Baron:
>
> ... BTW if anybody else has good language cartoons for class, or other
> visuals, as I suspect many of us do, it might be nice to gather and
> share them in some fashion.

Language Log posts relevant cartoons pretty frequently, and they're
all in the archives.  meanwhile, the ALL group at stanford has an
assortment of cartoons involving intensifier and quotative "all".
and i have some relating to other topics i've worked on (reversed
"substitute", cliches, playful word formation in -((o)r)ama, etc.).

> Allan, what about an ads committee to put together a visual materials
> collection on the web?

i think this would be a great idea.  are there copyright problems?

arnold, suspecting that the answer is "yes"