"Since many years"

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Fri Sep 1 15:16:44 UTC 2006

It's very common among non-native speakers of English of all backgrounds,
not as a loan translation but because of (due to) the confusion of "since,"
"for," and "ago."  We who teach NNSs and train TEFL teachers have noticed
this forever.  Second generation Americans may still confuse the forms, but
I'm not aware that this is a continuing usage in the third generation
unless the speech community retains a heritage dialect influenced by the
mother tongue, as is the case with Pennsylvania German and, perhaps, Indian
English, among others.  You didn't specify who said "since many years"--a
non-native or heritage speaker, or a native speaker, and where?

Beverly Flanigan