eggcorn alert: when misparsing becomes a fixture

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Sep 1 15:50:09 UTC 2006

From a recent blog
(http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2006/08/16/beyonce_s_album_is_b_day_not_bidet):

=======================
Beyoncé's Album Is 'B'Day,' Not Bidet

Beyoncé Knowles wishes she'd thought twice about
the title of her new solo album, after
discovering B'Day sounds the same as a bathroom
accessory. Knowles intended the name to be an
abbreviation of birthday, but it ended up
sounding like bidet.

She was alerted to the gaffe by BBC Radio 1 DJ
Chris Moyles during an interview on his show. The
stunned star says, "When I came up with the
title, I wasn't thinking about a bidet. And if I
had, I would have probably named it birthday, or
just B."
=======================

Indeed, one reads elsewhere that "some have
caustically renamed [this album] 'Bidet'" and
puns on the topic do appear to be rife.

So, working backwards, how often do we find said
(European) bathroom accessory referred to
ingenuously as a "B'day" or a "b-day", i.e. as an
actual eggcorn?  Not too often, it appears, but
every now and then (as in an observation in a
bathroom scene on an erotic web site "I noticed
you do not have a B'day" or in this comment in an
online review of the Seaview Country Club in
Ibiza, "On entering the apartment they look very
nice, all white walls and very clean. You have a
lovely bathroom with bath, shower, large mirror,
wash basin and fitted air dryer. The toilet is
separated and quite small with a b-day"),
sometimes leading to supercilious corrections.

Possibilities for confusion and/or exploitation
are rife.  An accessory for the iCal program on
Mac's System X allows (or permits, or enables)
one to enter into one's electronic calendar such
UK holidays as "the Queen's b-day".  At
http://www.portabday.com/, Pacific Mint offers
for sale "a portable bidet/Lotah for adults and
children" under the name "Porta b-day".*

Complicating search procedures if not
conversations, a B-day can be not only a birthday
or a bathroom fixture but also a fishing license
for expanding allowable catch quotas on Georges
Bank, or a scheduling device used in public
schools where A-days alternate with B-days, and
no presents or plumbing devices are provided.

LH

*Porta b-day® is a portable bidet, a simple,
economical, easy to understand, essential body
appliance.  Porta b-day® is designed to meet all
the requirements of a fast paced lifestyle.  It
is the best choice for simple, effective personal
hygiene.  Your mate with thank you."