"stuck on stupid"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Sep 2 23:37:54 UTC 2006

So it's a good thing I neglected to check the archives. Heh, heh.

  JL

Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Benjamin Zimmer
Subject: Re: "stuck on stupid"

On 9/2/06, Benjamin Zimmer wrote:
> On 9/2/06, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
> >
> > The anniversary of Katrina reminded me of General Honore's remark in
> > its wake that emergency management was "stuck on stupid."
> >
> > Not only do I find over a half million Googlits, Usenet has it back to 1995.
> >
> > Does it have some kind of anecdotal or pop cultural origin ?
>
> Dunno, but last time we discussed this, I found a 1992 cite:
>
> -----
> St. Louis Post-Dispatch, July 23, 1992, p. 1A (Nexis)
> "This country has been SOS for 12 years, and by that I mean Stuck On
> Stupid," said Knies, a computer programmer downtown, who lives in Ballwin.
> -----

Guess I hadn't looked in Factiva last time...

-----
Washington Times, Aug 11 1990, p. A2 (Factiva)
"We're talking about a government with hate in its heart coming after
one person using millions of dollars. We need to start letting {U.S.
Attorney General Dick} Thornburgh know that he shouldn't get stuck on
stupid and try this again. He needs to let it go," said Ms. Hughes
[sc. Cathy Hughes, D.C. radio talk show host].
-----
Omaha World-Herald, June 30 1991, p. 4 (Factiva)
The Avenue, a new Omaha band, has released its first single on the
Omaha-based Euneva Records. The single release is a taste of the
forthcoming album, The Avenue. The A-side track, "Stuck on Stupid, "
provides an danceable R&B beat inset with educational rap segments.
-----

--Ben Zimmer