Wishbone (1968?)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Sep 3 18:03:16 UTC 2006

Anything in the Dallas Morning News for "wishbone"? Wish bone? Wing bone
(wingbone)? Pulley bone (pulleybone)?
(OED)

wish-bone

1860 _BARTLETT_ (http://dictionary.oed.com/help/bib/oed2-b.html#bartlett)
Dict. Amer. (ed.  3), Wish-Bone.

 4. U.S.  Football. Used attrib. and absol. to designate an offensive
formation in which the full back lines up ahead of the half-backs in an  alignment
that resembles the shape of a wishbone.
1972  N.Y. Times 3 Nov. 48/2  Dartmouth's best hope lies in shutting off
Yale's wishbone  offense as engineered by Dick Jauron.

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wishbone_formation_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wishbone_formation)

The wishbone formation, also known simply as 'bone or the  wishbone offense,
is a play _formation_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formation_(American_football))   in _American football_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_football)
.
The wishbone is primarily a running formation with one _wide receiver_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wide_receiver) , one _tight end_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tight_end)  and three _running backs_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_back)  behind the _quarterback_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarterback)  (who takes the  snap under center). The back lined up behind the
quarterback is the _fullback_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fullback#American_football)  and  the other two are _halfbacks_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halfback_(American_football))   (although they may be called tailbacks or I backs in
some playbook  terminology).
The wishbone is often associated with the _option_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Option_offense)  as this formation  allows the quarterback to easily run
the option to either side of the line. It  is also ideal for running the
_Triple Option_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_Option) .
[_edit_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wishbone_formation&act
ion=edit&section=1) ]
History
The wishbone was developed by Offensive Coordinator _Emory Bellard_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emory_Bellard)  under Head  Coach _Darrell Royal_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darrell_Royal)  at the _University of  Texas_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Texas_at_Austin)  in _1968_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968) . Royal directed Bellard to  come up with an option
offense after watching Texas A&M, running _Gene Stallings_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Stallings) ' option  offense, beat _Bear Bryant_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_Bryant) 's Alabama team  in the Cotton Bowl the previous
season. After experimenting with family members  over the summer, Coach Bellard
came up with the formation.
Coach Bellard demonstrated the formation to Darrell Royal, who quickly
embraced the idea. It proved to be a wise choice: Texas tied its first game
running the new offense, lost the second, and then won the next thirty straight
games, leading to two National Championships using the formation.
It was given the name wishbone by the _Houston Chronicle_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_Chronicle)   sportswriter _Mickey  Herskowitz_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Mickey_Herskowitz&action=edit) .
_http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5269_
(http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5269)

Re: Who Created the Wishbone?

____________________________________
About 1968, a University of Texas assistant named  Emory Bellard (pronounced
Bell-ARD) came up with the idea of lining up three  backs in tight and running
the triple option, and the wishbone was  born.

Coach Bellard "broke the bone" when he coached at Mississippi State  and
introduced the "wing-bone", moving one of the halfbacks up to a wing  formation
and frequently sending him in motion.

The wishbone concept is  still alive, and still effective where it is run. It
pops up occasionally in the  form of a Stack-I, and a sort of Power-I
formation called the I-bone. Air Force  and Georgia Southern still run it, but mostly
from a spread formation and mostly  with motioning wingbacks.

_http://www.scholzgarten.net/My_Homepage_Files/Page19.html_
(http://www.scholzgarten.net/My_Homepage_Files/Page19.html)
TEXAS FOOTBALL TRIVIA
Darrell Royal called his new 1968 offense a "wishbone" offense  after it was
first named the "pulleybone" offense by a reporter.

_http://www.stp.uh.edu/vol61/951109/h9a.html_
(http://www.stp.uh.edu/vol61/951109/h9a.html)

Cougars, Longhorns longtime rivals, have history of victories and  losses
by Jason Paul Ramârez
(...)

Texas vs. Houston -- it used to be big for the Longhorns, it used to be even
bigger for the Cougars.
"Even today, if you ask any Houston player to pick one game, if they could
win just one game all year, it would definitely be against Texas," said former
Houston Post columnist and University of Houston alumnus Mickey Herskowitz.
"The  Cougars always seemed to have had a score to settle with Texas, as does
any  school that plays them."
But this wasn't just any ordinary rivalry.

Houston vs. Texas was big.
Take the 1968 clash on Sept. 21 in Austin's Memorial Stadium, for  instance.
The two schools were meeting for just the second time in history as the game
was the season opener for the Longhorns (No. 3 final ranking in Associated
Press  poll that season).
The game also marked the first time Texas employed, what was later coined,
its wishbone offense.
"I remember myself and a bunch of other sports writers kicking around names
of what to call Texas' new offense," Herskowitz said. "I remember looking at
the  way (the offensive backfield) was set up and seeing a chicken bone.
"I never dreamed that the term `wishbone' would become such a huge part of
college football."
It did, and it was the Cougars (No. 18 final AP ranking in 1968) who helped
christen it.
The two teams stood off to a 20-20 tie before Texas lost to Texas Tech the
next week. But the Longhorns then proceeded to win 30 games in a row and two
national championships before Notre Dame ended Texas' string of luck with a
24-11 victory in the 1971 Cotton Bowl on New Year's  Day.