"Three things happen on pass, two of them bad" (1963)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Sep 4 05:34:02 UTC 2006

Texas lore hold that the legendary UT football coach Darrell Royal said  that
there are three things that can happen when you pass the football, and "two
of them are bad."
The quote has also be attributed to Woody Hayes (Ohio State), Robert  Neyland
(University of Tennessee), and Duffy Dougherty (Notre Dame).
Does Fred Shapiro have this famous football quote?
It goes back to 1963, and Royal's name is attached from at least 1964. A
search of "two of them are bad" ("two of 'em are bad") on Sporting News shows
some earlier cites in the 1960s. Maybe someone with Paper of Record access can
check it?
_http://talk.ocregister.com/showthread.php?p=367777_
(http://talk.ocregister.com/showthread.php?p=367777)
Interesting. I had always thought it was Hayes, too. When I looked it up I
found it attributed to Hayes, Royal, Neyland, and Duffy Dougherty  on different
sites.
_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woody_Hayes_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woody_Hayes)
There are three things that can happen when you throw a pass, and two of them
are bad." This  quote is often incorrectly attributed to Mr. Hayes but is
actually a quote made  by General Robert Neyland of the University of Tennessee
which is "When you  throw the ball, three things can happen -- and two of them
are  bad"
_http://espn.go.com/classic/s/beano_tenmia.html_
(http://espn.go.com/classic/s/beano_tenmia.html)
I want to  set the record straight about something. It was General Neyland
who said, "When  you throw the ball, three things can happen -- and two of them
are bad." He  doesn't always get credit for the quote, as it is often
attributed to Woody  Hayes. But it was Neyland.
_Paw Prints Quotes: There are 3 things..._
(http://pawprints.kashalinka.com/quotes/three_things.shtml)      —Otto von Bismarck; Three things can happen
when  you put a [foot]ball in the air—and two of them are bad. —Duffy
Daugherty; There are three things extremely ...
pawprints.kashalinka.com/quotes/three_things.shtml - 11k -  _Cached_
(http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:a8Up-07w7lkJ:pawprints.kashalinka.com/quotes/three
_things.shtml+"two+of+them+are+bad"&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=28&ie=UTF-8)  -
_Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:pawprints.kashalinka.com/quotes/three_things.shtml)
_David Stout - The New York Times_
(http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/s/david_stout/index.html?s=oldest&inline=nyt-per)
Recalling an oft-quoted Royalism of yesteryear,  Wade said, "You throw the ball,
and three things can happen. Two of  them are bad." ...
topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/
timesto&inline=nyt-per  - 49k - _Cached_
(http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:6MJn8FTEEX0J:topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/s/david_stout
/index.html?s=oldest&inline=nyt-per+"two+of+them+are+bad"&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&
cd=27&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/s/david_st
out/index.html?s=oldest&inline=nyt-per)
31 July 1963, Indiana (PA) <i>Evening Gazette</i>, "Change  Style of Attack"
by Chuck Mills, head football coach, Indiana State College, pg.  22:
A controlled passing game is a safe method of keeping possession of the
football. As one coach said, "when you pass three things can happen and two of
them are bad." Well, this is certainly over-simplification. We feel we will have
 the potential for a good passing attack on the one hand and on the other
feel we  still will lack a top break-away threat for the long run.
9 January 1964, New York Times, "Royal Is Chosen Coach of Year," pg.  24:
Royal's teams stress defense and a running rather than a passing offense.  He
has said three things can happen when a team throws a pass--one good, two
bad.
"You complete the pass, that's good," he repeated yesterday. "You don't
complete it, that's bad. Or the other team intercepts it and that's very  bad."
15 January 1964, Frederick (MD) <i>Post</i>, pg. 6:
Darrell Royal of Texas, coach of the year: "There are three things that can
happen to you on a field goal and two of them are bad. There are also three
things that can happen on a run, punt or pass, and two of them are bad. You can
 see that I talk pretty conservative. I'm sort of the Barry Goldwater of
football. The fact that we passed for a touchdown on first down from our own 37
against Navy is just one of those things."
5 October 1964, Indiana (PA) <i>Evening Gazette</i>, pg.  14:
Chuck Klausing has been quoted many times as saying, "When you pass three
things can happen, and two of them are bad."
23 September 1965, Lincoln (NE) <i>Star</i>, pg. 25:
Devaney, who takes the positive approach to passing rather than the  approach
that says anytime you throw the ball only three things can happen and  two of
them are bad, noted "Each week we try to mix our passing  and  running game
to its best advantage."
12 October 1969, New York <i>Times</i>, "Texas Rally Topples  Oklahoma by
27-17 With Aerial Attack," pg. S1:
Trailing, 14-0, late in the first quarter and forced to justify an offense
that had thrown only 27 passes in three games, Texas rebounded for its fourth
straight triumph in 13 games for Coach Darrell Royal against his alma  mater.
It was Royal, one of college football's most successful coaches, who once
said that three things can happen when you throw the ball and two of them are
bad.