My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nachos (planet mnemonic)

Steve Kl. stevekl at PANIX.COM
Tue Sep 5 18:55:59 UTC 2006

in trig class in high school, I concocted "Seventy Cold Tenors of Hawaii
Are Having Operatic Arias" to get my trig fucntions right, writing S C T
down one column, and the remainder of the initials, two at a time, in the
right to give

S(ine) = Opposite (over)
        Hypotenuse

C(osine) = Adjacent (over)
        Hypotenuse

T(angent) = Opposite (over)
        Adjacent

Ridiculous, but I remember this some 25 years later.

I also devised "the King of Poland Cannot Order French Grapes on Sunday"

for Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species.

I was really big on mnemonics.

-- Steve Kl.