Microsoft files patent for verb conjugation software

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 5 22:12:31 UTC 2006

That one works, Grant.

I've read the appliction more or less closely and I still don't see
why anyone would want to (buy? and) use such a program. I think that a
copy of Teach Yourself [Language] would be far more useful. If you
know enough to know how to use a table of the conjugation(s) of a
language, why would you need this program, even if you could get it at
no cost? If you don't know that, how could this program help you, even
if you got it at no cost?

Maybe it's not meant to be a practical, stand-alone app. Is this the
first baby-step toward development of the long-dreamed-of grail of
translation by machine?

-Wilson

On 9/5/06, Grant Barrett <gbarrett at worldnewyork.org> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Grant Barrett <gbarrett at WORLDNEWYORK.ORG>
> Subject:      Re: Microsoft files patent for verb conjugation software
>
> On Sep 4, 2006, at 21:47, RonButters at AOL.COM wrote:
> > The URL for the patent application itself leads to a page that says
> > there are
> > zero results. Does this mean that the application has been
> > withdrawn--or is
> > there something wrong with the URL?
>
> Try this one:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/e5g7y
>
> Grant Barrett
> Double-Tongued Dictionary
> http://www.doubletongued.org/
> editor at doubletongued.org
>
> The Official Dictionary of Unofficial English (May 2006, McGraw-Hill)
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0071458042/

-Wilson
----
Everybody says, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange
complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.

--Sam Clemens