ADS-L SOME MESSAGES AREN'T COMING THROUGH

Wed Sep 6 21:03:27 UTC 2006

 ISENT THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE AT 2:50; AS OF 5:00 I STILL HAVE NOT RECEIVED
IT. I DO NOT SEEM TO BE GETTING ALL OF THE ADS-L MESSAGES, INCLUDING THE ONES TO
WHICH THIS ONE REFERS.

WHY AM I NOT GETTING ALL OF THE ADS-L MESSAGES???

I think it is right that "still in the bed" is a different morphosyntactic
phenomenon, it just happens that (in my experience) the three dialectally alien
uses of "the" are all heard from the same people. In that sense it is like "in
hospital" "in the hospital" "the measles" etc.

For some reason I do not always get all of the ADS-L messages, and it appears
to me that Larry and Arnold have exchanged messages here that I did not get,
so I don't know if they commented on the possible regional distribution of the
two idioms with "the." A quick Google News search seems to suggest that a
large number of "all of the sudden" ARE located in the South, but by no means all
(but maybe the thing is spreading, or maybe Southerners are spread?). Also
seem to be a lot of uses in connection with sports.

It is hard to search for "one at the time" because it tends to occur in
expressions such as "he was eating one at the time he fell off the bus."

If there is a Southern connection, one would of course tend to expect to find
the "the" idioms in African American Vernacular.