Re: [ADS-L] all of the sudden, one at the time, still in the bed

Thu Sep 7 13:30:33 UTC 2006

Yes, the "weak" definites are more like "He is still in the bed"--suggesting
that the person has only one arm or mirror, that there is only one dictionary,
etc. (the "wall" example doesn't seem particularly "weak" to me). Still, the
"suggestion" is overridden by the idiomatic nature of the utterance, and if
one's idiom is not "the bed" or "the hospital" the semantic implications are
apparent. One would never say, "Look it up in the index" in this same weak sense.