all of "the sudden, one at the time, still in the" bed

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Sep 7 17:56:23 UTC 2006

At 9:30 AM -0400 9/7/06, RonButters at AOL.COM wrote:
>Yes, the "weak" definites are more like "He is still in the bed"--suggesting
>that the person has only one arm or mirror, that there is only one dictionary,
>etc. (the "wall" example doesn't seem particularly "weak" to me).

They're related in that you're presenting any difference (among
dictionaries, walls in the room, mirrors) as being irrelevant.  As
has been pointed out, there's a contrast between "She's painting the
wall" (where the weak definite seems odd and hence there does seem to
be a presumption of uniqueness) and "She's scribbling on the wall"
(where the weak definite is possible, since it doesn't matter which
wall is affected).  Do you find the latter impossible, so you'd have
to say "She's scribbling on one of the walls" or "She's scribbling on
the north wall" or whatever?

>Still, the
>"suggestion" is overridden by the idiomatic nature of the utterance, and if
>one's idiom is not "the bed" or "the hospital" the semantic implications are
>apparent. One would never say, "Look it up in the index" in this
>same weak sense.

Agreed.  Or "Look it up in the book".

LH