another orphan

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Sep 10 13:17:37 UTC 2006

At 1:28 AM -0400 9/10/06, Wilson Gray wrote:
>And there are originally-local orphans, such as UCLA and SC.

Do these really count as orphans?  They do still unpack in the
original ways, after all.

>The use
>of "SC" instead of "USC" for the University of Southern California may
>be peculiar to BE.

 From my L.A. days, I'm pretty sure no such restriction exists.  "He
goes to SC", as I recall, was (and I assume still is, in L.A.) pretty
standard usage.  Note that this can only standard for the *University
of* Southern California; you never (I venture to guess) get "SC" to
refer to "southern California" tout court ("The Democrats held the
northern part of the state, but SC went Republican"--naaah).

>I almost cried when I discovered that the A&P was originally the
>"Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company."
>
>-Wilson

Yes, I remember that feeling.  Well, history has had its revenge on them.

LH