Life of Riley (1918)

Mon Sep 11 16:40:26 UTC 2006

Barry Popik had already submitted a 1911 cite, but it doesn't look like
the right meaning.

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0312D&L=ADS-L&P=R2720&
I=-3

N'archive also has, slightly earlier:
Syracuse | Syracuse Herald, The | 1918-07-09 p. 35 [also a letter home
from a WWI soldier]
"The rooms have tile floors and quaint little fireplaces and is the best
house in town, so
you can see we are living the life of Riley."