USC

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Mon Sep 11 18:55:40 UTC 2006

Another interesting category (which Arnold has probably discussed!) is "orphan" abbreviations of a non-initialistic sort (like "Nabisco" and "Texaco"):  Not just "Texas A&M University" but also, as the formal and official name, "Texas Tech University."

Incidentally, some of the categories we've been discussing form the basis for popular Sports Trivia games:  What Division I-A institutions do NOT have the word "University" in their names (there are said to be five such; I wonder if there aren't more?).  What Division I-A teams have inanimate mascots?  Human mascots?  Etc.

--Charlie