USC

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 12 15:02:02 UTC 2006

According to an article in Sports Illustrated about a quarter-century
ago, some student wrote a poem in mixed Greek and Latin in honor of
the team. The poem began with the words, "Hoia saxa," Greek "hoia" for
"these" followed by "saxa," Latin for "stones." The rest, supposedly,
is history.

-Wilson

On 9/12/06, James Smith <jsmithjamessmith at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       James Smith <jsmithjamessmith at YAHOO.COM>
> Subject:      Re: USC
>
> I thought a hoya was a type of shrub.
>

> > Sports mascots/nicknames are another rich area.
> > Most amazing is the
> > Georgetown nickname, the Hoyas, which I understand
> > means the "whats."
> >
> > Fred Shapiro

> > Fred R. Shapiro                             Editor
> > Associate Librarian for Collections and     YALE
> > BOOK OF QUOTATIONS
>
> James D. SMITH                 |If history teaches anything
> South SLC, UT                  |it is that we will be sued
> jsmithjamessmith at yahoo.com     |whether we act quickly and decisively
>                                |or slowly and cautiously.

> http://mail.yahoo.com

-Wilson
----
Everybody says, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange
complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.

--Sam Clemens