Mex-Mex and New Mex-Mex

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Sep 15 03:16:49 UTC 2006

At 10:49 PM -0400 9/14/06, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>I just returned from Texas, where I will relocate. BTW, if anyone wants an
>apartment at East 57th Street and Third Avenue in NYC, let me know.
>Maybe someone can check Nexis and Factiva for these Tex-Mex spinoff terms,
>both of which seem to come from Texas restaurants.

Interesting.  There seems to be an interpretive
problem arising from the fact that "Mex Mex" is
serving as a retronym for 'Mexican',
distinguishing it from "Tex Mex", but when
combined with the "New" meaning essentially (what
used to be called) 'Nouvelle', it produces "New
Mex Mex", which then lends itself to an alternate
interpretation in which "New Mex" (as in "New
Mexico") is a constituent.  Anyway, it's all good.

LH