Question for the quotation gurus

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Sep 15 16:24:53 UTC 2006

Am not sure that "Antigone," which dramatizes a conflict between divine law and human law, expresses this precise idea, but it may come close.

  The source of Alice's quotation, though, remains untraced.

  JL

Brenda Lester <alphatwin2002 at YAHOO.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Brenda Lester
Subject: Re: Question for the quotation gurus

This is all over ANTIGONE.

Jonathan Lighter wrote: Well, the idea is here in Chapter 2, but it isn't as concisely put :

" 'If we go out and hang two or three men...without doing what the law says, forming a posse and bringing the men in for trial, then by the same law we're...due to be hanged ourselves.'

" 'And who'll hang us?'

" 'Maybe nobody. Then our crime's worse than a murderer's. His act puts him outside the law, but keeps the law intact. Ours would weaken the law....And it's infinitely more deadly [to society] when the law is disregarded by men pretending to act for justice.' "

Surely this idea was not original with Clark.

JL