more on university names on Language Log

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Fri Sep 15 20:57:11 UTC 2006

But then, as my colleague John Algeo and others have pointed out, the great majority of English speakers alive do NOT live (and have ever not lived) in England.

It annoys me excessively when American Shakespearean actors (professional and amateur both) assume they are supposed to pronounce Shakespeare's lines with a facsimile of late-20th-century British pronunciation--as Shakespeare himself (having ever not lived in late-20th-century England) certainly did NOT!

--Charlie