more on university names on Language Log

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sat Sep 16 15:35:10 UTC 2006

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006, Wilson Gray wrote:

> BTW, I heard an Englishman on TV refer to himself as standing out in
> the U.S. because of his speaking "with an English accent." Many years
> ago, Jacques Barzun, discussing cultural imperialism, wrote that only
> Americans had the gall to speak of the English as speaking English
> with an English accent. It would never occur to a Canadien to describe
> a Frenchman as speaking French with a French accent.

The answer to Barzun was best expressed by Mark Twain: "There is no
such thing as 'the Queen's English.' The property has gone into the hands
of a joint stock company and we own the bulk of the shares!"

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Collections and     YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS