"anniversary": losing the 'year' connection

Sat Sep 16 17:43:50 UTC 2006

anyone looked at this?  it's not in the OED of 1989 (though it might
be on the agenda for revision).  ah, now i see that it's in NOAD2,
though restricted to the romantic context:

_informal_ the date on which a romance began in a previous month or
week.

note that this usage has given rise to a kind of retronym, "five-year
anniversary" for "fifth anniversary", etc.

please send replies to dan puckett (address below) as well as to the
list.

Begin forwarded message: