they don't make words like they used to

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Sep 18 18:01:30 UTC 2006

At 10:46 AM -0500 9/18/06, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC wrote:
>I watched most of "Rooster Cogburn" over the weekend.  In it, John
>Wayne's character is being forcibly retired for reasons of age and
>decrepitude.  He maintains that he is good for another "lustrum",
>however.

Nice catch.  I tried a Nexis search and found a total of 54 hits,
most of which are irrelevant in that their use lacks any
presupposition that the reader will understand the meaning.  Many of
the "lustrum"s ("lustra"?) involve references to either an eponymous
Australian horse or an eponymous rock band, some involve vocabulary
quizzes (in which the word is mentioned rather than used), one is
from a reference to the practice of "lustration" in a Safire column
in which the word--referring to the practice of barring officials of
a now-disgraced earlier administration (Communist, Baathist,
pro-Apartheid, etc.) from positions of power in a new regime--is
related to the original Latin meaning of "lustrum" as a ritual
purification held every five years.  But one of the few relevant hits
is also one of the most topical, a reference in a TV review in the
Portland Oregonian (8/12/06) to "the lustrum of 9/11, which of course
took place a week ago today.

LH