Warren Harding & "Founding Fathers"

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Tue Sep 19 11:44:37 UTC 2006

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006, Fred Shapiro wrote:

> founding fathers (OED 1941 [1914 dating of first citation in OED is
> erroneous], Yale Book of Quotations 1916)
>
> 1910 _Marion_ (Ohio) _Weekly Star_ 19 Feb. 1 (Newspaperarchive)  (heading)
> An Iconoclast Hits Patriots ... A Boston Writer Whacks the Founding
> Fathers.

At first glance, I thought that this antedating knocked out the usual
ascription of coinage of the term "founding fathers" to Warren G. Harding.
I believe, however, that Harding's status as putative coiner is still
pretty plausible, since the publisher of the _Marion Weekly Star_ was ...
Warren G. Harding!

Fred

Associate Librarian for Collections and     YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS