Canadien (was Re: English accent)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 19 19:29:18 UTC 2006

Damned if I know, Mark. I would have spelled it with a lower-case "c"
and italicized it, if I could have been certain that doing the latter
wouldn't have caused my post to be received as gibberish. I agree with
your implication and Larry's assertion that a "Canadien" is a hockey
player who does not necessarily have Canadian French as his mother
tongue.

-Wilson

On 9/19/06, Mark A. Mandel <mamandel at ldc.upenn.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Mark A. Mandel" <mamandel at LDC.UPENN.EDU>
> Subject:      Canadien (was Re: English accent)
>
> "It would never occur to a Canadien to describe a Frenchman as
> speaking French with a French accent."
>
> By the way, how frequent is this use in English of the French word for
> 'Canadian' (masculine singular), capitalized according to English usage, to
> mean 'French-Canadian'? I don't think I've ever seen it before.
>
> -- Mark
> [This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]

-Wilson
----
Everybody says, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange
complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.

--Sam Clemens