"Obsolete," but still in use

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Wed Sep 20 17:37:35 UTC 2006

Wilson is right (as usual!); Southern white folks also could--and still CAN--refer to an adult woman, married or not, (and somewhat formally) as "Miss <given name>."

Also, it was normal Southernese to pronounce the honorific "Mrs." as /mIz/, thus--at a later point in history--conflating "Mrs." and "Ms."

--Charlie