OED news -- two new books about English

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Sep 21 15:45:55 UTC 2006

 From the OED (I assume many here have seen this, but if not, the
subtitle of the second book below is amusing):

Language news
Two new books from Oxford University Press focus on the history of
the language and our battles to control it.
The Oxford History of English, edited by Lynda Mugglestone: fifteen
leading experts chart the story of spoken and written English from
its Indo-European origins to worldwide use in the twenty-first century.

<http://www.oup.com/uk/catalogue/?ci=9780199249312>http://www.oup.com/uk/catalogue/?ci=9780199249312

The Fight for English: How language pundits ate, shot, and left, by
David Crystal: the lively and illuminating story of a thousand years
of arguments about 'correct' English, by one of today's leading
language 'gurus'.

Joel