"Obsolete," but still in use

Clai Rice cxr1086 at LOUISIANA.EDU
Thu Sep 21 16:09:59 UTC 2006

Here in Lafayette, LA, people like to use the honorific with the first
name without regard to gender, so I am regularly referred to as either
Mr. Clai or Dr. Clai, and my wife is usually Miss Lydia, and has
recently graduated to Dr. Lydia.  Our (Episcopal) priest, Morgan Allen,
is Rev. Morgan or Fr. Morgan, and my dentist is Dr. Bill. My students
agree that Mr. or Miss. with the first name is normal and respectful
usage, and most think that both uses are peculiarly Cajun.

Clai Rice