Tenny runners...

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Fri Sep 22 17:22:12 UTC 2006

When I was in (about) the fifth grade, the spelling textbook gave the word "rubbers," with the illustrative sentence (something like) "John lent Bill his rubbers."  Many yucks from the pubescent philologues--though we did divine that the reference was to what are properly (in East Texas) called "overshoes."

--Charlie