"write," n. = "something intended to be read; a writing."

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Fri Sep 22 20:31:48 UTC 2006

The (subconsciously) perceived "Britishness" of the usage might explain why I found it pretentious--back in the days before I grew broadminded, nonjudgmental, serenely cheerful . . . .

--Charlie