"Steers and Queers" (1982)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Sep 23 23:15:55 UTC 2006

Anything earlier for "steers and queers"?
Memo to Newspaperarchive: Where are my Austin newspapers??
_http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/steers_and_queers/_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/steers_and_queers/)

“Steers and Queers”

Texas has been called a “land of steers and queers.” Sometimes, “beers” is
added to that.

The “steers and queers” chant has long been a popular  Southern Methodist
University putdown of the University of Texas Longhorns.  “Steers and queers”
was spoken by characters in the movies An Officer and a  Gentleman (1982) and
Full Metal Jacket (1987).

_Urban  Dictionary_
(http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=land+of+steers+and+queers)
1. land of steers and queers
just about any  Western state
“only steers and queers come from Texas private cowboy, and  you don’t much
look like a steer to me so that kinda narrows it down” Full  Metal Jacket 1987
by another Masshole Oct 15, 2003

2. land of  steers and queers
Oklahoma
The only two things from Oklahoma are  steers and queers, and I don’t see any
horns on you boy. (Officer and a  Gentleman, An - 1982)
by Rick Jul 9, 2003

3. land of steers and  queers
Aka Texas
Only steers and queers come from texas
by Pete May 4, 2003

_Wikipedia_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beers,_Steers,_and_Queers)
Beers, Steers + Queers is an LP released by the Revolting Cocks in  1990. It
includes the song “Beers, Steers, and Queers” which is one of the best  known
Revolting Cocks tracks. It was a minor club hit for a few years and still
gets occasional club play.

_Google  Books_
(http://books.google.com/books?vid=ISBN1588989259&id=p-Im5_RvY-0C&pg=PA50&lpg=PA50&dq=steers+and+queers&ie=ISO-8859-1&sig=GOidTRRFcwIGGeIPg5
ngFyLtnzs)
Freedom Pagoda
by John W. Sammon
greatunpublished.com
2003
Pg. 50:
“Texas is the land of steers  and queers,” Vince said.

_Script-o-Rama_
(http://www.script-o-rama.com/movie_scripts/o/officer-and-a-gentleman-script.html)
Officer And A Gentleman Script - Dialogue Transcript
Where you  from, boy?

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, sir.

Only two things come  out of Oklahoma.
Steers and queers.
Which one are you,  boy?
I don’t see no horns.
You must be a queer.

No, sir.

_Internet Movie  Database_ (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093058/quotes)
Memorable Quotes from
Full Metal Jacket (1987)
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Holy dog shit. Texas? Only steers and queers  come
from Texas, Private Cowboy. And you don’t look much like a steer to me so
that kinda narrows it down. Do you suck dicks?

7 August 1983, New York  Times, “A 2nd AIDS Epidemic” by WIlliam Beauchamp,
pg. E21:
When the  Senate voted 17-11 to deny recognition, cheers erupted from the
gallery, and a  familiar SMU chant was heard: “Steers and Queers—Only in Austin.”