Tenny Runners (tennis shoes) (1965)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 23 23:50:16 UTC 2006

When and where I was a kid, "tennis shoes" were definitely boys'
apparel. I have no idea what girls' tennis shoes were called. In fact,
I can't even remember whether similar footware for girls even existed.
I think that girls and women wore sandals when the weather became warm
enough for boys to wear tennis shoes. Men also wore sandals, but not
boys. Remember the "little old lady in tennis shoes"? My
interpretation of that phrase has always been that little old ladies
wore tennis shoes only because their feet had been deformed by years
of wearing high heels and other women's shoe styles in their youth, to
the extent that regular shoes were too uncomfortable for them to wear.

-Wilson

On 9/22/06, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Tenny Runners (tennis shoes) (1965)
>
> >On Sep 22, 2006, at 11:50 AM, i wrote:
> >
> >>... my ozzie son-in-law reports
> >
> >i meant "aussie".  pronounced "ozzie".
> >
> >arnold
>
> so he's just a half-Nelson.
>
> LH

Everybody says, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange
complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
-----
Whoever has lived long enough to find out what life is knows how deep
a debt of gratitude we owe to Adam, the first great benefactor of our
race. He brought death into the world.

--Sam Clemens