Tenny Runners (tennis shoes) (1965)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Sep 24 16:13:55 UTC 2006

"Ozzie" is becoming more popular, but in the U.S. "Aussie" has always been normal and virtually unanimous.

  I think it's only recently that the "Ozzie" pronunciation has started to supplement "awssy" in the U.S.

  JL

"Arnold M. Zwicky" <zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Arnold M. Zwicky"
Subject: Re: Tenny Runners (tennis shoes) (1965)

On Sep 24, 2006, at 8:50 AM, Jon Lighter wrote:

> Also HDAS II.
>
> JL
>
> Barnhart wrote:
> -----------------------
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Barnhart
> Subject: Re: Tenny Runners (tennis shoes) (1965)
> ---------
>
> American Dialect Society writes:
>> -----------------------
>> Sender: American Dialect Society
>> Poster: "Arnold M. Zwicky"
>> Subject: Re: Tenny Runners (tennis shoes) (1965)
>> ----------
>>
>> On Sep 22, 2006, at 11:50 AM, i wrote:
>>
>>> ... my ozzie son-in-law reports
>>
>> i meant "aussie". pronounced "ozzie".
>>
>> arnold

> See The Barnhart Dictionary Companion (Vol. 5.3-4, c1989) for an
> entry for
> Oz meaning Aus.

yes, i was aware of this, and even used "oz" in my first posting
about my son-in-law. but the system, as i understand it, is that the
colloquial name of the place is spelled (not ) but the
colloquial name of a person from Oz is spelled (not
), pronounced like the name Ozzie (as in Nelson or Guillen).

arnold